The 2020 NBA draft was seen as one of the crucial wide-open drafts in latest reminiscence, primarily due to the COVID-19 pandemic that lower the 2019-20 faculty basketball season quick and threw each staff’s scouting pr into disarray.
Nevertheless, even earlier than the pandemic hit, it nonetheless wasn’t clear who can be taken first general. The remainder of the draft was simply as unclear.
Right here’s how the lottery picks of the draft ended up enjoying out, with gamers from Dayton to Israel.
2020 NBA draft lottery picks
1. Minnesota Timberwolves: Anthony Edwards, SG, College of Georgia
2. Golden State Warriors: James Wiseman, C, College of Memphis
3. Charlotte Hornets: LaMelo Ball, PG, Illawara (Australia)
4. Chicago Bulls: Patrick Williams, SF, Florida State College
5. Cleveland Cavaliers: Isaac Okoro, SF, Auburn College
6. Atlanta Hawks: Onyeka Okongwu, C, College of Southern California
7. Detroit Pistons: Killian Hayes, PG, Ulm (Germany)
8. New York Knicks: Obi Toppin, PF, College of Dayton
9. Washington Wizards: Deni Avdija, SF, Maccabi Tel Aviv (Israel)
10. Phoenix Suns: Jalen Smith, PF, College of Maryland
11. San Antonio Spurs: Devin Vassell, SF, Florida State College
12. Sacramento Kings: Tyrese Haliburton, PG, Iowa State College
13. New Orleans Pelicans: Kira Lewis, PG, College of Alabama
14 Boston Celtics (from Memphis Grizzlies): Aaron Nesmith, SF, Vanderbilt College
One factor you would possibly discover is which colleges aren’t there.
Faculty basketball blue bloods shut out
You’ll not see Kentucky, which beforehand had a lottery decide yearly since John Calipari took the job in Lexington. You’ll not see Duke, which had two of the highest three picks within the 2019 NBA draft. You’ll not see North Carolina, Kansas, Arizona, Indiana, Michigan State or UCLA.
Nearly each college that might fairly be thought of a blue blood — you could possibly even throw in Villanova, Syracuse, Louisville and Gonzaga — didn’t have a participant taken within the lottery this yr. Lacking solely the primary 4 groups makes this the type of draft not seen for the reason that starting of the millennium, per ESPN Stats & Information.
After all, it’s not like these colleges whiffed on the draft. UNC’s Cole Anthony simply missed the lottery cut-off because the No. 15 general decide, touchdown with the Orlando Magic. Tyrese Maxey from Kentucky went six picks later to the Philadelphia 76ers. Udoka Azubuike from Kansas went 27th general. Vernon Carey of Duke went 32nd general.
It’s nonetheless wild to see the blue bloods shut out, although. Anthony was theoretically the almost certainly lottery decide among the many huge 4 colleges, however UNC’s nightmare yr helped stop that. Kansas completed the yr ranked No. 1 within the AP Ballot, however solely had one participant — Devon Dotson — declare early for the draft. Duke and Kentucky had their standard extremely ranked freshmen, however none was a Zion Williamson or Anthony Davis.
In all probability, this may find yourself being a fluke, not less than judging from subsequent yr’s Rivals recruiting rankings. Kentucky, Duke and UNC type the highest three courses with 10 five-stars between them.
Extra from Yahoo Sports activities: